- Departments A - K
- Veterans Property Tax Reduction Benefit
Veterans Property Tax Reduction Benefit
2023 Deadline is April 18
Qualifications may change on yearly basis.
Below are the 2023 qualifications.
You must file the application with our office between January 1 and April 18.
The Veterans Property Tax Reduction benefit reduces property taxes for qualified 100% service-connected disabled veterans.
If you qualify, the property taxes on your home and up to one acre of land may be reduced by as much as $1,500. The program doesn’t have an income limit.
Once granted, a surviving spouse can use this benefit, but it isn’t transferable to a new property after the death of the qualifying veteran.
You may qualify for Veterans Property Tax Reduction in 2023 if both of these apply:
- You were recognized as 100% service-connected disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as of January 1, 2023
- You own and occupy a home in Idaho that is your primary residence before April 15, 2023.
- The property must have a current homeowner's exemption.
- The home can be a mobile home.
- Contact your our office for an application or download one.
- Get a current letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs confirming your 100% service-connected disability rating as of January 1, 2023.
- Complete the application. The assessor's office will help you. You must file the application with our office between January 1 and April 18, 2023.
- This benefit isn't automatically renewed. You must apply and qualify each year.
- If approved, your benefit will appear on your December 2023 property tax bill.
You may also qualify and apply for the following tax relief programs in addition to or instead of the Veterans Property Tax Reduction benefit:
- Property Tax Reduction – This program reduces the amount of taxes qualified individuals pay on their home and up to one acre of land. Benefits range from $250 to $1,500. There's an income limit for this program.
- Property Tax Deferral – This program defers the taxes on the home and up to one acre of land for qualified individuals. The deferred taxes become a lien on the property and have to be repaid to the state of Idaho. There's an income limit for this program.
Contact our office at 208-788-5535 for more information about the program and an application.
The 2022 Veterans Property Tax Reduction benefit must be filed in our office by 6pm April 18.